Tuesday, October 01, 2013

The Fabric Market

As an amateur crafter and prodigious window shopper I am always on the look out for new places to go see, or places to buy things.  Which makes being in China that much more pleasurable because China LOVES it's markets.  As far as I can tell there is a market for everything.  Need, a pet?  There's a pet market.  Need electronics?  There's an electronics market.  Need shoes? there are shoe markets.  Need a door?  There's a door market (note, I know that this exists, but I haven't found it in Wuhan, yet).
Last week, I took a journey into Wuchang for the fabric market (or tailor street).  It wasn't an easy journey.  Getting there required, trains, buses, and my chevrolegs, but it is totally worth it.
 There are bolts and bolts of cloth of all different types of materials; cotton, denim, silk, polyester, chiffon, you name it, they seem to have it.  Be sure to bargain for your material, but be aware, they will only come down a RMB or two per yard (at least for me, maybe someone else has had better luck?).

I wish I could get down there more often.  The colors, patterns, and textures of the fabric are amazing, just walking around got my creative juices flowing.  

I especially love the Chinese silks.  If I was a hoarder (and I'm trying not to be) I would buy some just to have it on hand.  But really, silk is not practical for a lady with a 6 year old and a dog.  I can't imagine what I'd do with it that wouldn't be irrevocably ruined within the year.  

Are you a quilter?  Their selection of cottons had me thinking about making another quilt even though I swore that I would not ever do it ever ever again....  (It's only a matter of time before I make another one, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it)

The fabric market (tailor street) is located on Yanzhi Lu 胭脂路 in Wuchang.  

No comments: